|Secondary Mode||Single Shot|
|Tertiary Mode||3-Round Burst|
|Damage (per Hit)||Medium|
|Accuracy||Low - Medium|
|Rate of Fire||Medium|
|Ammo Type||Pistol Rounds (9mm Charged)|
|Magazine Capacity||9 Rounds|
|Maximum Ammo|| 800 Rounds (PD)|
200 Rounds (PDZ)
|Appears in|| Perfect Dark|
Perfect Dark Zero
The MagSec 4 is a magazine-fed select-fire pistol (semi-automatic and three-round burst). It fires 9mm rounds that are charged through an unknown process which likely causes its high muzzle velocity and range. A thumb activated 2.40 range scope is included as standard. The magazine holds nine rounds. It is noted to be a heavy pistol. In Perfect Dark Zero, the weapon featured an alternate fire which could bounce the charged shot off walls, instead of the three round burst. This has been the only time such a feature has been implemented in the series as it is not mentioned within the novels.
The pistol has seen use by government guards of Area 51. dataDyne personnel also use the weapon, including the Zhang Li mansion's security detail. Joanna Dark, who notes her preference for accurate weapons, often opted against the MagSec. Her use of the pistol in Perfect Dark: Initial Vector was due to her faith in her ability to control the weapon's kickback, and in Second Front, she uses it to better portray Mai Hem. Mai Hem is a notable regular user of the weapon, in DeathMatch VR and out, and has used it to kill Jack Dark.
This weapon sees exceptional usage in the DarkOps mode of Perfect Dark Zero. The weapon's rebound fire, combined with its good damage rating, makes it incredibly useful for defending a position when wielded in pairs.
The MagSec can deal an impressive amount of damage for a handgun, and this factor is increased when it is set to burst fire mode. It includes a built in scope for ranged shooting. The rebound fire feature that some models possess make it ideal for eliminating targets in hard to reach areas.
The MagSec 4 has little to offer as far as accuracy goes. When used in three-round burst mode or when fired quickly, the weapon may be difficult to control. The magazine is emptied quickly when set to three-round burst. Because of its noticeable shot dispersion, the MagSec 4 is not reliable beyond medium range.
In Perfect Dark Zero, be careful of using the rebound fire, as you can actually injure yourself or teammates with it.
- Datacore Demolition - The Trinity Research Platform guards in the Submersible Hangar use this weapon. Cannot be saved from this mission.
- Mansion Infiltration - Zhang Li's mansion security personnel carry this weapon.
- Laboratory Rescue - Carried by dataDyne security.
- River Extraction - Carried by dataDyne security. Also used by Mai Hem to execute Jack Dark at the end of the mission.
- Trinity Infiltration - Used only by Chandra Sekhar to kill Eustace Caroll in the ending cutscene.
- Jungle Storm - dataDyne grunts use this weapon, paired with a Frag Grenade. Be very careful of them, for Joanna can be killed rather quickly by these guys if they aren't dealt with quickly enough.
- Temple Surveillance - dataDyne grunts use this weapon, paired with a Frag Grenade.
- In Chapter 10, Joanna Dark switches them to three-round burst mode. This mode was not in Perfect Dark Zero and as such we can assume these are newer MagSec 4s.
- Throughout the book they are called MagSecs; however in Chapter 21 while Joanna is in the shooting range, the name MagSec 4 is used.
- When Joanna infiltrates Miranda Sturgis's apartment. This is where she states "The gun's a surprise. Miranda hates guns. And it's a dataDyne model--the MagSec."
- A customized MagSec is carried by Security Chief Anita Velez when she has a bulletproof vest strapped to Cassandra De Vries before she is escorted out of her Paris home in Chapter 1.
- Joanna uses a MagSec to kill Chun Fan at the end of Chapter 28, shooting her in the face at point blank range.
- The MagSec 4 in Perfect Dark was originally called lees gun (Lee's gun). A lees gun #2 also existed; this may have been related to the MagSec SMG mentioned in the Trivia section.
- In Perfect Dark, it is said to have been produced by Chesluk Industries. In Perfect Dark: Initial Vector, it is manufactured by Global Armaments. In Janus Tears, it is manufactured by dataDyne.
- The MagSec 4's in PD:Zero are made in England (Where we assume Chesluk Industries to be based due to working close with Carrington Institute, and the programmer it was named after was English). This is actually written on the side of the in-game pistol.
- A string exists in Perfect Dark for a MagSec SMG in addition to the pistol.
- This weapon is based off the Beretta M93R-AG Auto9, made famous by the film Robocop.
|Perfect Dark - Weapons and Gadgets|
|Weapons|| Unarmed • Falcon 2 • MagSec 4 • Mauler • Phoenix • DY357 Magnum • DY357-LX • CMP-150 • Cyclone •|
Callisto NTG • RC-P120 • Laptop Gun • Dragon • K7 Avenger • AR34 • SuperDragon • Shotgun • Reaper •
Sniper Rifle • FarSight XR-20 • Devastator • Rocket Launcher • Slayer • Combat Knife • Crossbow • Tranquilizer • Laser • Grenade • Timed Mine • Proximity Mine • Remote Mine • N-Bomb • Psychosis Gun
|Classic Weapons||PP9i • CC13 • KL01313 • KF7 Special • ZZT (9mm) • DMC • AR53 • RC-P45|
|Gadgets|| Shield • Data Uplink • ECM Mine • CamSpy • Night Vision • R-Tracker • Tracer Bug • Reprogrammer • BombSpy • Cloaking Device • Door Decoder • Comms Rider • Explosives • X-Ray Scanner • Disguise • Alien Medpack •|
DrugSpy • Horizon Scanner • Suitcase • President Scanner • R-Tracker • IR Scanner • Target Amplifier •
Skedar Bomb • Combat Boost • Suicide Pill
|Perfect Dark Zero - Weapons and Gadgets|
|Weapons|| Unarmed • P9P • Falcon • MagSec 4 • DY357 Magnum • Psychosis Gun • CMP-150 • DW-P5 • UGL Liberator • RCP-90 • Laptop Gun • FAC-16 • KSI-74 • SuperDragon • M60 • Jackal • Plasma Rifle • Shockwave •|
Rocket Launcher • DEF-12 Shotgun • Viblade • Hawk Boomerang • Frag Grenade • Flashbang • MultiMine
|Gadgets|| Combat Shield • Datathief • Locktopus • Demo Kit • Audioscope • CamSpy • Revive Kit • Nightvision Goggles •|
Threat Detector Goggles • X-Ray Goggles • Stationary Turret