Global Armaments; Chesluk Industries; dataDyne
Semi-Automatic, 3-Round Burst
|Damage Per Hit||
|Rate of Fire||
Pistol Rounds (9mm Charged)
The Global Armaments MagSec 4, more commonly known as the MagSec, is a military-grade pistol in use by various organizations.
The MagSec 4 is a magazine-fed select-fire pistol (semi-automatic and three-round burst). It fires 9mm rounds that are charged through an unknown process which likely causes its high muzzle velocity and range. A thumb activated 2.40 range scope is included as standard. The magazine holds nine rounds. It is noted to be a heavy pistol. In Perfect Dark Zero, the weapon featured an alternate fire which could bounce the charged shot off walls, instead of the three round burst. This has been the only time such a feature has been implemented in the series as it is not mentioned within the novels.
The MagSec can deal an impressive amount of damage for a handgun, and this factor is increased when it is set to burst fire mode. It includes a built in scope for ranged shooting. The rebound fire feature that some models possess make it ideal for eliminating targets in hard to reach areas.
The MagSec 4 has little to offer as far as accuracy goes. When used in three-round burst mode or when fired quickly, the weapon may be difficult to control. The magazine is emptied quickly when set to three-round burst. Because of its noticeable shot dispersion, the MagSec 4 is not reliable beyond medium range.
The pistol has seen use by government guards of Area 51. dataDyne personnel also use the weapon, including the Zhang Li mansion's security detail. Joanna Dark, who notes her preference for accurate weapons, often opted against the MagSec. Her use of the pistol in Perfect Dark: Initial Vector was due to her faith in her ability to control the weapon's kickback, and in Second Front she uses it to better portray Mai Hem. Mai Hem was a notable regular user of the weapon, in DeathMatch VR and out, and used it to kill Jack Dark.
This weapon saw exceptional usage in the DarkOps mode of Perfect Dark Zero. The weapon's rebound fire, combined with its good damage rating, made it incredibly usful for defending a position when wielded in pairs.
Perfect Dark Zero
- Mansion Infiltration
- Laboratory Rescue
- River Extraction
- Trinity Infiltration
- Jungle Storm
- Temple Surveillance
Perfect Dark: Initial Vector
- In Chapter 10, Joanna Dark switches them to three-round burst mode. This mode was not in Perfect Dark Zero and as such we can assume these are newer MagSec 4's.
- Throughout the book they are called MagSec's, however in Chapter 21 while Joanna is in the shooting range, the name MagSec 4 is used.
Perfect Dark: Janus Tears
- When Joanna infiltrates Miranda Sturgis' apartment. This is where she states "The gun's a surprise. Miranda hates guns. And it's a dataDyne model--the MagSec."
Perfect Dark: Second Front
- A customised MagSec is carried by Security Chief Anita Velez when she has a bulletproof vest straped to Cassandra De Vries before she is escorted out of her Paris home in Chapter 1.
- Joanna uses a MagSec to kill Chun Fan at the end of Chapter 28, shooting her in the face at point blank range.
- In Perfect Dark, it is said to have been produced by Chesluk Industries. In Perfect Dark: Initial Vector, it is manufactured by Global Armaments. In Janus Tears, it is manufactured by dataDyne.
- The MagSec 4's in PD:Zero are made in England (Where we assume Chesluk Industries to be based due to working close with Carrington Institute, and the programmer it was named after was English). This is actually written on the side of the in-game pistol.
- A string exists in Perfect Dark for a MagSec SMG in addition to the pistol.
- This weapon is based off the Beretta M93R-AG Auto9, made famous by the film Robocop.
- The sound that is heard when you fire this gun is similar to that of a Stormtroopers' Blaster in the movie series, Star Wars.
Theories on MagSec developmentEdit
- Global Armaments created the MagSec 4, and by the events of Perfect Dark had changed their name to Chesluk Industries (As no mention of Global Armaments is made in Perfect Dark), which would contradict Janus Tears claiming it to be a dataDyne weapon.
- The MagSec 4 is a General Armaments design, with the rights for sale to different manufacturers making their own versions. This might also help explain why the design is so different in Perfect Dark Zero to Perfect Dark. Chesluk Industries favoured the sleeker design whereas the square-scope design was favoured by dataDyne. It is also possible that these different variants are made for both companies at the same factory, since the dataDyne model has "Made in England" on the side, which would have to be the location of Chesluk Industries due to the proximity of the Carrington Institute.
- While the MagSec SMG was never made or seen in game (only the string name survived), a similarity is noted in Second Front when Jonathan Steinberg switches his DW-P5 to 3-round burst mode. Perhaps the MagSec SMG was Global Armaments working with Fairchild to create the best of both and Steinberg's DW-P5 was the result, as the gun never featured this mode in Perfect Dark Zero.
- There is also the possibility that the MagSec SMG was simply to be a MagSec 4 with full-auto capability, but little evidence exists to prove this.
- If the user hacks the game with a Gameshark or similar cheat device, he/she can access a beta weapon called the SMG27. The weapon has a 27-round magazine & makes the same firing sound as the Reaper, but has no image file of its own. This gun may be a rough, unfinished version of the MagSec SMG
- Perfect Dark (first appearance)
- Perfect Dark Zero
- Perfect Dark: Initial Vector
- Perfect Dark: Second Front
- The MagSec 4 is based on the Auto-9 used by RoboCop.
The MagSec 4 in Perfect Dark was originally called lees gun (Lee's gun). A lees gun #2 also existed; this may have been related to the MagSec SMG mentioned in the Trivia section.